Monday, September 7, 2009

As a Developer, ASP.Net / .Net or PHP?? What's your choice??

PHP is a very good technology but I have a lot of reasons why I choose ASP.Net or .Net in particular. One, if you are a .Net Developer, you are not limited to developing applications to web only. Using .Net, you can develop applications for desktop, web and mobile devices like cellphones (in Symbian OS, iPhone, Windows Mobile Devices) using one syntax or PL like VB.Net, C#, etc. Unlike PHP, it is a good technology but for the WEB ONLY!! .Net has also an opensource implementation in Mono (http://www.mono-project.com - backed by a company called Novell) and it has also its standard IDE in MonoDevelop. So, as a .Net developer, you don’t have to worry about bringing your applications to run on Linux, Mac OS, Free BSD, Windows, etc. And what I like about ASP.Net Development over PHP is the PRODUCTIVITY in developing applications. Microsoft make it really easy for developers to develop applications on their platform by providing excellent developer tools. Let me reiterate that ASP.Net is a framework and it is free. There are also free tools provided by Microsoft called Visual Studio Express. In CMS tools, there are many free CMS tool you can choose from like Umbraco, DotNetNuke, Sitefinity, Graffitti, etc. ASP.Net as a framework compared to PHP has lots of advantages indeed especially if you are a .Net Developer. You can do a lot using the framework. But as a Software/Web Engineer, I don’t limit myself to .Net and will still use PHP if the need arises. It’s cheaper though (I mean the hosting) but as to my number one tool I still choose .Net coz IT ROCKS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment